Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Workload

I wanted to write sooner but my schoolwork got in the way. It’s hard to believe that it’s been a month since I arrived in Middle Earth because the weather hasn’t changed at all. The North Island is being hit by a severe thunderstorm whereas down here in the south, it’s just been raining non-stop. I mean it just won’t stop; just keeps coming and coming like an out-of-control Energizer Bunny. I’m surprised that I haven’t had to swim or paddle my way to class.

The month of July has been devoted to lectures in English, Professional Studies, Social Studies, E-Learning, and Maori Studies. When I was an undergrad, taking 5 classes at once was impossible but this schedule is easier because they’re not overloading us with homework, but preparing us for teaching practice in 2 weeks. The only assignments I have to worry about are writing lesson plans and a PowerPoint presentation following the New Zealand Curriculum.

All I know so far is where I’ll be teaching: St. Thomas of Canterbury College. It’s a Catholic all-boys school not far from where I live so getting there shouldn’t be a problem. It would be nice to know what I’ll be teaching but I guess they’re keeping me in suspense. I’m glad I brought a suit with me because the college has a dress code in place. I’ll be teaching one hour lessons at St. Thomas for seven weeks, starting in early August. I’m not all that nervous because I’ve taught at a cadet camp back in Canada for 5 consecutive summers.

Tomorrow, a large number of principals are coming to the C of E to talk to us trainee teachers about their schools and why we should apply to work there. Maybe I’ll find a high school I’ll like if I decide to stay here for another year to build up my work experience and make my CV look better. We shall see this Friday.

(Pic is of the Flower Tower in Cathedral Square)

No comments: