Friday, July 11, 2008

Home Away From Home

After hopping 4 flights, waiting in 3 international airports, and acquiring 18 hours of flight time, I finally arrived in Christchurch, New Zealand on the morning of July 5th. To this day, the 12 hour trans-Pacific flight felt more like 9 hours. Perhaps I managed to dose off and lose track of time. It wasn’t until after I picked up my luggage I started seeing my situation through the eyes of an explorer: on my own, on the other side of the planet, and no friends or relatives to assist me. Not bad for a start. Of course, reality tends to throw a few curve balls along the way. I only had to suffer two.

The first one was that I couldn’t find the shuttle that was supposed to take me to the University of Canterbury. I forgot to ask where to meet them. So I bit the bullet and took a cab. I was glad that the university wasn’t that far.

And the second was the strong, cold autumn wind that welcomed me after I exited the terminal. Nevertheless, I made it safely to my campus residence without any problems.

My first impressions of Christchurch while I stared out of the taxicab window, (front left seat; the driver sits on the right), was that it looked like a British Canadian city. British because of the road signs, rounded vehicles, and left-sided driving; Canadian because of the similar weather. It wouldn’t be until I examined the architecture closely that my impressions would change. Of course, I can’t forget the Australian touch; the accent of New Zealanders makes it feel like Australia.


I settled into my room in the campus residence district named Ilam Village. It’s pronounced ‘ee-lum’; I kept saying ‘eye-lum’ until I arrived. The district sits between the main university and the secluded College of Education. My room is a little longer than the perfect square I had to live for 22 years back home, but has the same width. I don’t want to brag but after I unpacked and settled into my surroundings, my room appears to be the cleanest. I guess that tidiness came from the 5 years I spent in army cadets. My room is in a flat that fits 5 people; 2 men and 3 women. I’m the only Canadian. The other guy is from Paris, France. One woman is from Signapore, and the other two are New Zealanders from the southern part of the island. We’re all one big happy family . . . for now.

Even though I arrived on my own, I came here as part of the CANTEACH program, designed to assist students interested in becoming primary, secondary, and gym teachers, and giving them a chance to see the world. The program gives you the choices of New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. I am one of the 13 Canadians who came to U of C in July. I was surprised to learn that only I and another Canadian lived in campus residence. Everyone else decided to live in private residences . . . and some are still searching.

I enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Secondary Teaching, meaning once I graduate in June 2009, I’ll be a certified high school teacher in music & history, and allowed to teach in New Zealand and the province of Ontario, Canada. What’s different about the NZ school system is that there are no school boards like in Canada; all the schools are self-sufficient. It’s the principals who hire and retain teachers. During orientation, I counted around 32 students who are in the same program that I’m in. I’ve also begun looking at taking some self defence courses once the year gets going; high school kids can get pretty . . . active at times, and maybe I’ll find out since my program has a 14 week teaching component where I’m placed in a classroom situation.

Naturally, my classes will take place at the College of Education, a secluded campus that appears like a Caribbean resort with palm trees and tropical plants surrounding the aging buildings. The main university campus is a different story, with solid grey concrete being the main building component. The architectural style brings the feeling of studying in the Soviet Union. Overall, emphasis was placed on the buildings interiors; clean, renovated, and modern looking, while the outside continues to age. This kind of approach was the same when I studied in Western Ukraine back in 2006.

(The Wheki Building on the C of Ed Campus. I wonder if I can order a marguerita during classes?)


(Main Registry Building, comrade)


(James Hights Library, comrade)



(Chemistry & Physics Building, comrade)

Well, with orientation over and the weekend now upon me, I have two more days of freedom to savour before the academic year begins on Monday. I’ve already met many students who come from all over the world to study here in Christchurch and the locals are very kind to us foreigners. I should also check what sort of stationary I should buy before the big whopper hits: textbooks. I’ll feel the pain of having to spend so much on textbooks I’ll only be using once, but I’ll feel better . . . once I pay using my parents credit card.

(Ilam Village BBQ on Friday)


No comments: