Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Didn't Exist



A void now exists in my life. Due to the way time zones are set, I experienced time travel and leapt into the future, skipping July 4th. I ceased to be on that day; I was gone. If anyone asks me what I did on July 4th 2008, I won’t be able to answer because it never happened. It is a black hole in my timeline.

My flight from Los Angeles to Auckland was an overnighter. The plane took off on the evening of July 3rd. At that same moment, it was the evening of July 4th in Auckland. By the time the crowded plane I was on crossed the International Dateline, it was the morning of July 5th. Since I was a passenger, I didn’t have the authority to tell the pilots to turn around. I had lost 24 hours in an instant. Well, not lost; more like moved ahead.

Crossing the Dateline has permanently shifted my timeline ahead by 24 hours. So when I arrived in Auckland on the morning of July 5th, my body was still thinking it was July 4th. This reminds me of hotels not putting floor 13 buttons on their elevators. Doing that doesn’t mean the 13th floor has disappeared. The 13th floor is now the 14th, and the 14th is now the 15th, and so on and so on. But since this whole time change is on a world scale, my mind had to cope with the change, by giving me a whopping headache on Sunday.

I suppose the only way to reverse this leap into the future would be to fly back across the International Dateline in the opposite direction. I’ll gain back the day I lost. I’m not certain when that leap into the past will come so until then, I never experienced July 4th, 2008.

I didn’t exist.

(The picture is not of my trans-Pacific flight but when I was arriving to Los Angeles. I could have taken a picture of of my trans-Pacific crossing but it would have been all black.)



No comments: