Sunday, July 20, 2008

First Week

“The first week is always the hardest and the longest.” I have heard and used that saying many times before and it somewhat applies to me. My first academic week is over and it came and went at a slow pace because I was still getting used to the surroundings. I know where all my classes will be taking place, where most of my colleagues are residing, which busses to take, where I can get the Internet, and where to pick up food & alcohol. I’m nearing my comfort zone with every passing day and I should be there shortly.


I’ve also gotten used to the minor differences like the smaller but colourful currency (the Queen is also on the $20 bill!), mirrored driving, accents, and the electrical sockets. The sockets are similar to the ones in North America except slanted inwards. With an extra slit below, it looks like they are horrified of my presence. Because New Zealand’s currency has one & two dollar coins I have the tendency to call them loonies & toonies. What’s interesting is that there are no 1, 5, or 25 cent coins. There’s only 10, 20, & 50. I’m doing my best to manage my finances because New Zealand is an expensive place. It makes me wonder how the locals can survive?

The weather here is gloomy. I had planned to go hiking but the wet & overcast atmosphere made me postpone that activity. There’s scattered showers happening all over the country, but I hope the sun will come back soon. When the sun was here, I walked downtown for exercise and took a few shots. Downtown has very few tall buildings and many expensive shops & restaurants. Come to think about it, all of Christchurch is made up of low rise buildings. Maybe the locals are scared of the sky?


(Christchurch Art Gallery & Bridge of Rememberance)

I also took a stroll through Hagley Park which is Christchurch's 'Central Park.' The park is split into North & South, and are filled with grass fields, towering trees, Botanic Gardens, and hundreds of ducks.

My classes are small, hovering around 20 people, and are mostly conducted in a lecture-like manner. Some classes have two professors who rotate throughout the semester.

To keep myself sane and active, I joined the Ski & Snoboard, and Mountain Bike clubs. For the time being, I’ll confine myself to renting & borrowing. In time, I might invest in a mountain bike and accessories.

That’s how the first week of school turned out. Once the academic year gets going and the weather clears up, the fun will come.

1 comment:

Roman Dzioba said...

You know what the Maori word for New Zealand is? --- Aotearoa, which means "Land of the Long White Cloud". The call it this because on the high mountains clouds get trapped and it can be cloudy on the South Island for months on end.

Also, remember that "wh" in Maori is pronounced "f".