Saturday, May 15, 2010

Week 7

The final week of my teaching practice was mostly about wrapping up & returning the resources I borrowed for my lessons. Carrying all those resources (books & CDs) to & back to school was a pain but at least I didn't have to go to the gym to stay in shape. As well, I got an extra workout helping out the music & drams staff move into our new office space. The school paid to have several old music rooms merged & renovated into one big room for us teachers. The old office was small, tight, wedged in between the main music class & drama room, and a mess because of all the papers lying around. Personally, I would have done the big move after school but the teachers were too eager to get out of that small room. The former music/drama office will be turned into a mini-computer lab for students.

The other student teachers had already started counting down the days, looking forward to sleeping in, and having time to relax. As for me, it didn't feel like the teaching practice was coming to an end at all. And I wasn't counting down the days because the practice was going to end anyway; it was inevitable. The student teachers & I reflected on our time spent at Riccarton High School, sharing many stories of school life, what they will & will not miss, what they learned, and what they hoped to get on their final reports. For Thursday, we put on a Morning Tea consisting of savouries and chocolate squares as a way of thanking the teaching staff for their guidance & tolerance. I personally thanked my two associates with a bottle of wine and a thank you note.

For most of the week, my Year 12s & 13s were working on their own, but I finished teaching chord progressions to my Year 12s and corrected the activity that went with it. My Year 9 English class were tasked with created an advertisement poster in pairs, so that left me to walk around and assist. On Friday, all my students bid me farewell & wished me all the best. The teacher's lounge was surprisingly packed for the after party, and even all the other student teachers were there. We stuffed ourselves with many finger foods & wine, while talking with our associates for the 'last time'. Before leaving, I personally thanked my associates, and the principal for letting me teach at the school.

After seven intensive weeks, I have to say that the teaching practice turned out quite well. My final report was very positive as well as the two observations the college did meaning I'm guaranteed a passing grade. Seven weeks may sound a lot but all that time gets used up pretty quickly. If I had stayed longer, I would have accompanied a Year 9 & 10 class on their 4 day trip to the Kokiri Lodge on the west coast of the South Island. With the teaching practice now out of the way, I have a month to spare before I head back to Canada for the summer. Aside from my upcoming college debriefing, I'll probably drop in at the College of Education campus to practice piano & guitar. Oh yeah, I also have a ukulele to pluck.

I'm thinking of going on a short trip somewhere before my time runs out in Middle Earth. So far, I'm pondering on Stewart Island, the Queenstown region, and Auckland. Only time will tell if something happens. I'm also considering going to see a rugby and/or cricket game. Sad that it's my second time in Middle Earth & I have yet to attend a live game. Come to think about it, I need to research the rules to rugby & cricket because I still don't get it!

No comments: