Sunday, May 30, 2010

Rain Rain Rain

The past week was defined by water falling from the skies all over Middle Earth. No lightning and thunder; just rain. The sun didn't show its bright face once. The only breaks in between the rainfall were grey overcast clouds. A whole month's worth of rain dumped in a day, every day. I'm surprised that I didn't get cabin fever from staying inside. Well, I did go out for groceries and to the cadet corps I volunteer at, but I had to be armed with an umbrella, gloves, and a warm jacket. Rivers overflowed, flooding roadways and buildings, causing road closures and evacuations. The scope of damage is still being assessed and residents in some areas of the country are still waiting for the water to recede so that they can clean out their flooded houses.

My debriefing at the college on Friday went without a hitch. The associate dean who looked after all teaching placements was pleased with my results and signed me off with a pass. He also fast tracked the publication of my marks so that I could apply to graduate in absentia. Yeah, it would have been nice to attend the grad ceremony but that won't take place until October & I'll still be in Canada by then.

Job searching for the 2011 year in NZ has so far turned up nothing, most likely because it's still Term 2 and too early for schools to know if there're any openings. While I search, I also have to register with the NZ Teacher's Council & the PPTA Union in order to be allowed to teach in Middle Earth. And when & if I get a job offer, I still have to apply for a working visa. Paper work is a pain.

My flat was alive on Saturday night because one of roommates was celebrating her 23rd birthday. From what I remember, the party theme was to dress like a ninja, around 15 people attended, and the birthday girl fired two champagne corks off the balcony. The corks landed on the roof of the common room so nobody got hit.

The sun has made good timing on showing itself for this week because I'll be travelling to Queenstown on my own for 4 days to explore the area. I decided to get one last trip in before I head back to Canada in mid-June. Researching the town has shown that there's plenty to do but I'm going to be spontaneous and choose activities when I arrive. The weather in Queenstown looks promising with the sun staying out and the temperatures going as high as 10 degrees Celsius. Naturally, I'll be documenting this trip so there're plenty of pictures and stories to look forward to. I can't wait.

No comments: