Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Didn't Exist . . . Again

The flight from Vancouver to Auckland was scheduled to be a long & arduous 14 hour journey. If only Air New Zealand had faster planes. Can't someone design a modern Concorde? Well, at least I had an aisle seat - easier access to the washroom. As well, I would spend this flight aboard a Boeing 747 for the first time. What a moment to cherish. After an hour of boarding, the white aerodynamic beast roared down the slick runway & lifted into the night sky.

What's great about the Air NZ entertainment systems is that you don't have to sit through 5 minutes of previews. You have libraries of movies, tv shows, and music to access at your fingertips. I decided to start off the long flight by watching the movie 2012. I won't spoil anything & just say that I expected better, a lot better. Pacing & plot development, those sort of things. Thankfully, I was able to laugh off my disappointment with the comedy film The Hangover, and then finish off with the classic action flick Die Hard. Dinner was a choice between chicken and beef. I chose the beef dish with complimentary white wine.

The rest of the flight was mostly a blur because I kept lapsing in & out of consciousness. Sleeping in the sitting position is tough for me. I tried dreaming that I was sleeping in first class but it didn't work. As I tried to get some rest, the 747 crossed the International Dateline, leaping into the future. We left Vancouver on March 7th, but crossed the dateline into March 9th. A second void was created in my life. I, nor the other passengers existed on March 8th, 2010. The first void was July 4th, 2008.

Somehow, I had gotten some shut eye because I was alert when the pilot announced that we were about to land. It was still dark outside when the 747 touched down in Auckland. If there were still people sleeping, then the pilot did a good job waking them up because the landing was hard & sudden. I know for a fact that several passengers around me jumped at the sound of the loud boom!

With the plane safely docked with the air bridge, I disembarked into the Auckland terminal thinking whether to shout, 'I'M BACK!' or get into the security checkpoint line. Due to my tiredness, I chose the latter. Luck was with me again because on the flight, I was told that I no longer had to pick up my luggage in Auckland & transfer it to the Christchurch flight - that would be done for me. As well, I wouldn't have to go through customs until I arrived in Christchurch.

The wait for the Christchurch flight was only an hour & there weren't that many people travelling at this early hour. Plus, we were transported to the plane via bus, so I briefly got the opportunity to step onto the tarmac. Once again, the plane lifted with ease into the morning sky & made its way south, towards my final destination; Christchurch. I wondered what to expect?


No comments: