Friday, March 12, 2010

Home Sweet 2nd Home

Disembarking in Christchurch filled me with feelings of deja vu. The terminal looked the same since my first visit back in 2008. Getting through customs wasn't a problem except the customs lady asked several more questions about my study & which schools I had taught at (St. Thomas and Villa Maria) before. After picking up my suitcases from the baggage carousel, I made it through the last x-ray security checkpoint and was cleared to exit. I was somewhat surprised to see the terminal expansion project (bigger parking garage, better looking entrance, etc.) still underway after I had left 8 months ago.

Because I was still wearing my winter clothing, I was sweating heavily when I left the terminal. The weather was sunny with a high of 20 degrees, a far cry from the minus 3 degrees when I left my hometown of Ottawa. I quickly found a taxi, dumped my luggage in the back, and got in. Oh yeah, I reminded myself, they drive on the left side of the road, like in Britain, Australia, Japan, and Hong Kong. Yup, the layout of the city hadn't changed that much since my last stay. Endless rows of bungalows, with the occasional corner store & gas station, lined the main street that Alexei, the Russian taxi driver, drove me to the university, as he made small talk along the way.

The familiar university buildings stood in the background as I was dropped off with my luggage at the Ilam Village office to check in & pick up my keycard. After filling out the check in form, the female resident representative led me to my room which was located in the flats that were designated as Kowhai. These flats can hold six people, and comes equipped with a large kitchen, washer & dryer, and a big washroom that holds two toilets & two showers (all in smaller separate rooms of course). My room is the same size as my previous room in the Hinau flats except the kitchen is much bigger, at least twice the size of the Hinau kitchens. And to top it all off, we each have our own separate phone & number. When I was flatting in Hinau, my roommates & I had to share the same phone.

Just as the resident rep left, two of my previous roommates, Heather & Ben, appeared and cheerfully greeted me. They were glad to see me and that I was able to stay in the same flat as them. My other three roommates were Sarah (Heather's cousin), Corey, and Neil. After a long interesting discussion, I made it back to my room to unpack & settle in. The welcome bag from the Ilam staff included a mug, laundry bag, wall planner, and a map of the city's bus routes. Once everything was in the closet and on the proper shelf, I collapsed on the bed I made. The mattress was quite comfortable as I stared at the ceiling and breathed a sigh of relief.

I'm home.

The rest of the week would go by in a blur, devoted to completing enrollment at the University of Canterbury Registry, shopping for food, buying some extra formal clothing for my teaching placement, and walking around town. The following week, starting on the 15th, I would begin my teaching placement at Riccarton High School. I can't wait.


No comments: