Sunday, June 21, 2009

Top Ten Moments of My Middle Earth Stay

Even though the TVs in Ilam Village give you access to just 5 channels, I was glad that one of them, C4, provided me with The Daily Show with John Stewart. If I chose to stay up later, I’d flick over to the Prime Channel to watch The Late Show with David Letterman. Letterman’s comedy is good enough for me to endure his opening monologue & his Top Ten List.

So, to recap the best that has happened in Middle Earth, I’m going to mimic Letterman with my own Top Ten List. Letterman, if you’re reading this, I’ve credited you as the creator, so please don’t sue.

Before I begin, I would like to point out that these are NOT the only moments/memories that have happened during my stay. There was much to choose from when I jotted down all the non-incriminating stuff that I could come up with. After much deep thought & personal debate, I’ve finally come up with a list. To those moments & memories that didn’t make the cut, don’t feel like I’ve forgotten about you, because I have not and never will.

Okay, so let’s begin. [drum roll]

At Number 10: Skiing the high mountains of Temple Basin & tramping the scenic landscape.

[drum roll]

At Number 9: Constantly hearing riders say ‘Thank You’ when getting off public buses.

[drum roll]

At Number 8: The bigger & comfier movie theatre seats & the fact that they’re assigned.

[drum roll]

At Number 7: Ilam Village Life (random power failures, loud drunken parties, elevator breakdowns, TV with only 5 channels, roommates, etc).

[drum roll]

At Number 6: College Life (bar outings, entertaining lectures, parties, friends, etc).

[drum roll]

At Number 5: Touring Dunedin, Invercargill, Sydney, Brisbane, & Canberra with my older brother Roman.

[drum roll]

At Number 4: Whale watching & drinking expensive wines with my visiting parents.

[drum roll]

At Number 3: Being called Mr. D. on teaching practice & at cadets.

[drum roll]

At Number 2: Learning Maori & NZ English culture (Rugby & the All Blacks, CHC to Phuket ad, Hair Poo, Te Puke, the Haka, Shag Point, LJ Hooker Real Estate, etc)

[extended drum roll]

And the Number 1 Moment of My Middle Earth Stay: Skydiving over Christchurch from 12,000 feet!

Next up is catching my flights back to Canada while meeting up with my older brother, Roman, along the way, in Sydney. Hopefully, we’ll arrive in Canada swine flu free & not be quarantined and subjected to intensive searches by Airport/Border Security.

When I lift off from Christchurch to Sydney tomorrow in the very early morning, my record for surviving on my own will stand at an all time high of 30 consecutive weeks!

No comments: