Saturday, June 6, 2009

Not Guilty

After much O.J. Simpson like press coverage & anticipation, the final verdicts in the David Bain murder retrial are [drum roll] not guilty. Back in 1995, Bain was convicted for murdering his family and served 14 years in prison before a higher court granted his appeal for a retrial. Despite being in high spirits, he now has to fight the system again for financial compensation. Democracy may be the best form of government right now but they’re still faults in the system. The bigger question one must ask is how does the government calculate a proper sum of money that says ‘We’re sorry’?

Aside from the David Bain retrial, not much else has been happening. There’s been less rain & more sun, but the strong winds are still present. I was surprised to see & hear a flock of ducks flying above Ilam Village yesterday because they’ve been absent for a very long time.

Since there’s only two & a half weeks left for me, my professors are making sure that they’ll remember me . . . via the assignments I owe them. They’re coming along steadily & should all be completed on schedule. I still can’t figure out how & why some people choose to work on an assignment the day/night before it’s due? If I had followed that path, I would have failed everything & be stuck in the alternative education program.

The term is almost finished for my roommates, who’ve taken to partying to celebrate another term well spent. In over a night or two I’ve met many happy, um, alcohol-fuelled people. Thankfully, no one got poisoning. The next step will be studying & passing exams.

With such ‘little time’ left here in Middle Earth, I’ve been skimming the Ottawa Citizen Newspaper to get a feel of what to expect when I arrive back in my hometown. I’m glad to see that construction on a new arts centre in Orleans has finally completed. Between 2005-08, I performed selected piano pieces in a series of community concerts in the building next door.

I’m still not pleased with the planned light rail route for Ottawa because a large portion of it will run parallel to a dedicated bus route. Rather than lumping all transit services into one congested corridor, the city should be expanding transit into communities that really need them. I think every city council member should pick up a copy of the game SimCity 4 & play it for several hours because it can teach you quite a bit on how to plan & build an effective transit system.

Today is June 6th, a significant day 65 years ago, when Allied Forces sent 160,000 soldiers across the English Channel in 5,000 ships to invade the Norway Toast. Er, I mean the Normandy Coast. Operation Overlord as it was called, opened the second front against Hitler's war machine in northern France. To make sure the landings were successful, 20,000 troops were paratrooped behind enemy lines the night before to stir up trouble & prevent the Germans from reinforcing Normandy. If the invasion had failed, my guess is that WWII would have ended in a ceasefire & the resulting World Order would be tripolar (USA, Nazi Germany, USSR).

And now back to assignments.

No comments: