Sunday, June 6, 2010

Q.T.T.: Tandem II

I did it again. This time from 15,000 feet over Queenstown. Many people tandem skydive just once so they can say they did it, but it takes more courageous (and/or crazy) people to continue falling out of a plane. I just happened to be one of those people. Despite being unable to jump in Rotorua, I was still determined to fall from the sky & thankfully, NZONE also operated in Queenstown.

I explained in my previous post that I spent the first day exploring the town while waiting for my bed to be ready at Bumbles Backpackers. Well . . . that was only the half truth. While exploring the town centre, I stopped in the NZONE store and asked what the weather would be like for tomorrow (June 3rd). They said they didn't know but suggested that I jump today (June 2nd) because the weather was perfect. Seeing that I had plenty of time, I agreed and my booking was bumped up to 1230. NZONE offers jumps from 9000, 12000, & 15000 feet. Since I jumped from 12,000 feet back in Christchurch, I decided to start even higher.

After filling out the necessary paperwork, I, 2 Kiwi males, and 2 Asian women, were briefed by staff on what to expect. While being shown photographs & a video, I have to admit that I wasn't as nervous as I was the first time. It was also stressed that we 'Dump before we Jump' because they've actually had accidents in the sky. They also assured us that the 'tainted' jumpsuits are immediately thrown out.

The ride to the NZONE airfield took 15 minutes and was to the south of the Queenstown Airport, near Jacks Point. After dumping in the washroom, I swallowed some Gravol to prevent nausea & vomiting. Only several minutes passed before we were taken to the main hangar to suit up (jumpsuit, gloves, goggles, & hat) and meet our tandem partners. You have to leave all your loose belongings & valuables behind so that they don't get lost in the experience. They are safely stored in a locker.
My tandem instructor was a Bulgarian male in his thirties whose name I've unfortunately forgotten. After he briefed the 2 Asian ladies & myself on how we'll be exiting the plane, the aircraft in question fired up and we were led onboard. Since I was the only one jumping from 15,000 feet, I was going to be the last one out of the plane. For safety reasons, two NZONE staff members fall with you: the tandem skydiver you're strapped to, and a backup who falls beside you, making sure you don't pass out. That backup faller can also be the cameraman filming your experience.

The aircraft took off into the clear blue sky and slowly climbed higher & higher. I was anxious but surprisingly calm during the ascent because my body had already experienced terminal velocity. However, I found it difficult remembering that sensational feeling because my first jump was a year & a half ago. At 12,000 feet, the plane leveled and the door slid open for the 2 Asian ladies jumping for the first time. The plane bounced and felt lighter after each trio fell out of the plane. Once they were out of the way, my trio moved up to the glass door that slid closed, and the plane continued climbing to 15,000 feet. To combat hypoxia, I was a given a small tube of oxygen to breathe. I have to admit that I felt light headed & was slow to respond to questions but I think that helped in distracting me from what was about to happen. The plane leveled again, the glass door slid open, and my backup (without a camera) got out first. My Bulgarian tandem partner swung me over to the edge where I was greeted by a cold blowing breeze. After he did his final checks, the three of us fell towards the ground and never looked back.

The second the Drop began, my mind immediately remembered what the feeling of falling at terminal velocity (220km/h) felt like. And it felt euphoric. With my hands spread open, I waved & gave a thumbs up to my backup, stating that I was having the time of my life. It's best to breathe heavily during the freefall because it makes you feel better. As I wrote in my first tandem post, the freefall feels like you're falling towards a powerful fan blowing in your face and you're unable to touch it. The freefall from 15,000 feet lasts a minute but it didn't feel like it to me. Just as soon as it began, the Bulgarian deployed the parachute and we came to a sudden stop. My backup continued to fall & disappeared below my feet. During the six minute glide back down to earth, I gazed at the 360 degree majestic landscape, and the Bulgarian spun me around for extra enjoyment. Seconds from touchdown, I was instructed to put my knees up, and we came to a soft sliding stop.

I thanked the Bulgarian in English & Russian before heading off to the hangar to take off the jumpsuit. I was given a certificate of my achievement and guarantee of $50 off my next jump with NZONE. I guess I'll be going back to Rotorua sometime in the future. The total price tag for the jump was $400NZD ($283CAD); it would have been much more if I had decided to have the experience photographed and filmed. After watching other customers descend from the sky for several minutes, an NZONE staff member drove me & the 2 Asian ladies back to Queenstown.

Once again, I encourage everyone to try skydiving once, twice, thrice, and more. It is truly a great & empowering experience. You won't regret it. So far I'm up to 2. I think I'll make it my long term goal to skydive in as many Middle Earth places as possible. eXtreme Individuality Rules!

To Be Continued . . .

(Woohoo! My 100th post!)

No comments: