Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Q.T.T.: Over 2 Days

I spent the next two days enjoying as much of Queenstown as possible after spending a lot of money on tandem skydiving. The skies were clear but the temperatures were still in the single negatives meaning that warm winter clothing was needed all around. There was even snow in some places on the ground.

After walking around snapping photos & window shopping, I decided to see the recently released film Robin Hood at the local Readings Cinema. The seats in the theater were large & comfortable but the aisles were narrow. That wasn't a problem because there were only 5 other people watching the film. Overall, Robin Hood starring Russell Crowe is similar to Gladiator . . . starring Russell Crowe in terms of story development & production. I think it might have to do with the fact that Ridley Scott directed both films. Anyway, it's an okay film that receives a passing grade from me. Once out of the movie theatre, I continued walking around, snapping more photos of the surrounding landscape at the right moments. Like a professional photographer, sometimes you have to take 10 photos to get that perfect 1. In the sky, paragliders descended towards the town in groups of three, and sightseeing helicopters circled above with curious customers.

For the late afternoon, I decided to have some fun by trying out a variety of wines at Wine Tastes. The establishment is set up in a lounge setting, with tables, comfortable chairs & couches, and dim lighting. The walls are completely covered by tall wooden shelves stocked with various kinds of NZ & Australian wines. You're given a wine glass and a card that you insert in any of the serving machines. The machines display the 3 possible selections (sample, half, full) with the attached price. Just press whichever button & fill up your glass. Your card stores the total tab and when you're finished, you return the card and pay the bill. If you want food, Wine Tastes serves plates of bread, salami, and cheese & crackers. The salami & bread plates come with a tray of assorted dips & spreads.

With my card in hand, I tried out the white wines, chardonnays, and from what I remember, a champagne. The bread plate with assorted dips & spreads which I ordered was also tasty. I should note that this isn't like professional wine tasting where you spit out the wine to prevent drunkenness; you have to swallow what you drink. And I wouldn't recommend choosing the full glass option because of the high price. It's best to always choose the half glass; that way you'll be able to try out many different wines. As for the final bill . . . um, I would like to thank my parents for letting me put it on the credit card. I would have sent you some wine bottles as a thank you but unfortunately, Wine Tastes doesn't export to Canada.

The next day (June 4th), I decided to be more athletic by walking to the airport & back via the Frankton Walkway. The walkway runs along Frankton Road next to the lake so you get nice views of Kelvin Heights, Kelvin Peninsula, Kawarau Falls, Lake Wakatipu, The Remarkables Mountains, and the town of Frankton. The walkway is estimated to be 90 minutes long in one direction. I don't know how long it took me but I do know that I walked 12 km in total. Along the way you pass many private residences, apartments, and Queenstown citizens happy to greet you even if you're a stranger.

When the evening arrived, I decided to celebrate my last full day in Queenstown by having dinner at Lone Star. I usually don't eat by myself at 'please-wait-to-be-seated' restaurants but I decided to make an exception for this trip. After being briefly surprised for not getting ID'd at the bar, I ordered a steak & a pint of Guinness beer. I watched the TVs that were displaying rugby & golf games as I waited for my meal, and while I consumed my meal. The steak was excellent, the Guinness was good, and I made it safely back to the hostel.
To Be Continued . . .

No comments: