Wednesday, April 21, 2010

N.I.T.: Beyond InTown Nelson

Once woken up & feeling rested, I stepped out of the hostel and walked several blocks before finding myself bored. Looking to cure my boredom I chose & followed a main road leading away from the town's centre. I didn't have a destination in mind; just wanted to see where my legs would take me. I wandered through several quiet residential streets, observing the various architectural styles of bungalows. They weren't as impressive as that mailbox I found made out of an old car engine.

When I was over a small hill, I took a shortcut down Beatson Road, a newly paved side street that hugged the large hill that sat in the centre of Nelson. The hill itself is infested with streets & residential homes. I guess a lot of families can't pass up the chance to have a house on a hill top with a majestic view of the sea. Seeing this crowded hill made me think of the rich hilltop mansions in Los Angeles, California.

From Beatson Road, I headed northwest passed the large Annesbrook turning circle, and onto Quarantine Road. By this time, I had decided to walk to the airport because . . . um, well, because I could. On the way I visited the World of WearableArt & Classic Cars Museum, more commonly known as the WoW Museum. What attracted me to the museum was the large white Excalibur car on display near the parking lot. After paying my $20 admission, I casually strolled into the classic cars area. The collection spanned from the 1930s all the way to 2007. For the person such as myself with modern/futuristic tastes, the museum's collection included two Ferraris, a luxurious 2004 Maybach, and the 1981 DeLorean, the car made famous by the Back To The Future movie Trilogy.

The wearable art exhibit featured brightly coloured costumes that were designed for the purpose of art. Trust me, you wouldn't find anyone wearing these outfits unless in a fashion/art show. The costumes sat on black coloured mannequins & moved on a conveyor belt with music playing in the background. Interesting but not as impressive as the car collection.

After leaving the museum, I headed towards the airport to find something to eat because the cafe at the museum had just closed. A new hangar was under construction as I walked into the small terminal. The size & setting reminded me of the small airport of Regina, Saskatchewan. With my stomach satisfied by a chicken Caesar wrap & Coke, I walked up to the observation deck to get a glimpse of the tarmac. Unfortunately, the only activity happening was a commercial turboprop testing its engines, but I snapped a few pictures before leaving.

Rather than heading back the way I came, I instead headed northeast towards Tahunanui Beach. The green grass, palm trees, fast food outlets, and mid afternoon sun made the beach area appear as if it were Sunset Beach Park in Vancouver, Canada. Lumbering on, I walked along Rocks Road, the main roadway that runs along the narrow rocky northwest coastline. Trucks & cars use this road because of its connection to the port and the city centre. As well several condos, pubs, & taverns have been built along this road, and there's even designated area for people to fish.


I was a little late but made back to the hostel to meet up with brother. We walked around intown looking for a restaurant and finally settled for the pub/restaurant House of Ales. It's a small but popular establishment (according to the all the happy photo portraits on the walls) located near Church Hill. Naturally, the alcohol selection is huge with 11 beers on tap, and 30 red, white, & sparkling wines to choose from. I can't remember what I had to eat but I do remember it being well prepared & tasty.

After paying our bill we headed back to our hostel to check our email & pack our things. We went to bed early because we would be getting up early the next morning to sign out & catch our bus to Picton. Overall, Nelson is quite a nice little town to explore but you'll need powerful legs to see what I saw unless you have a car at your disposal. If you do have a car, just remember that they're not allowed on the walking trails. Plus, there's more of Nelson that I haven't explored so there's much more to see. The city centre is mostly a shopping area but there are restaurants & pubs nearby. If you've got the time, give the Centre of New Zealand a try!

To Be Continued . . .
(Post 3 of 10)

No comments: