Friday, February 13, 2009

Semester 2 Begins

Classes resumed on February 9th at the College of Education, and what better way than to get into the academic spirit by waking up at 7am to catch your 8am Senior History class. Senior History focuses on the high school years 11-13. The tropical resort appearance of the college hadn’t changed, but there were new student faces to recognize & get used to. Because it was the first day, the history class was just an introduction to the course, and to distribute the textbooks. The great thing about this program (Grad Diploma in Secondary Teaching) is that you don’t have to fork out extra money for textbooks – they’re included in the course fees.

The education faculty decided to surprise the midyears by stating that we would be welcoming the new students today before lunch. Because I thought the Maori Welcoming ceremony would be at the end of the first week (previously) I didn’t have my camera to take pictures – that’s twice I’ve been shafted. The Maori ceremony followed the same format as described in my previous post, A Maori Welcome, but the difference was the size of the new student body – at least double the midyear intake! And again, no translations were provided for the Maori speeches that were exchanged. I think I’m going to suggest the College of Ed people to fix that.

In just six months, I’ve become a senior student in my 12-month program. I know it’s expected but it’s surprising that the first six months have gone by so quickly. In my high school & undergrad days, I had to complete three years of study before becoming a senior student. I was glad to see my midyear colleagues after two months and we exchanged many stories, from travelling abroad to getting engaged (it’s not me).

The semester is divided into 2 blocks that are five weeks in length. For these two blocks, I’ll be studying senior history, junior music, professional studies, and exploring language. However, the big test will be my second 7-week teaching practice that commences in mid-March. We haven’t been assigned our schools yet but I’m not as worried as before because I already have a teaching practice under my belt & I know what to expect & how to proceed. Of course, even with prior experience, a new environment still can bring the unexpected.

I'll leave you with the 2008 Platinum Single, Always On My Mind, by solo Maori artist Tiki Taane.

Happy Friday the 13th & Valentines Day!

No comments: