Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Last Week

To be honest, I thought this week would never show up. It’s hard to believe that the seventh, aka last week of Teaching Practice 1 has started. Even though the workload has begun to wind down I’m still putting in the full effort to end on a high note. Once this week is over, I’ll have 2 weeks vacation to deal with. My brother is paying a visit during those two weeks so I’m guessing some interesting stuff will happen.

The students at St. Thomas will also get a 2 week break to rest & recuperate before the start of Term 4.

Last week was International Week so last Friday’s assembly saw students from China, Philippines, Malaysia, Fiji, India, and many others, talk about their homelands and why one should visit. If I would have known earlier, I would have done a presentation on Canada or Ukraine.

Aside from that, it’s been same old routine at St. Thomas. Been preparing to teach my final lessons of the term. Since it’s the last week, my Social Studies associates have given me the choice to teach a subject of my choosing. Since my Year 9 SS Kiwis have been studying the East India Trading Company, I’ve decided to teach them about a company that once owned & ruled an area far larger than India: the Hudson’s Bay Company. As for my Year 10 SS Kiwis, they were previously studying Maori resistance to British occupation so I’ll teach them how the Canadian Natives stood up to the Canadian British, particularly the case of Louis Riel.

The spring weather has finally arrived, with warm sunlight and clear skies. I can finally break out the shorts and t-shirts after school. It still feels somewhat odd to be talking shorts & t-shirts in late September. Usually I’d be thinking about wearing long trousers (aka pants for the Canadian readers) and turtlenecks because autumn has just begun back home.

Speaking of home, I’ve been using the Internet to keep me informed and it looks like a federal election is afoot for mid-October. All I’ll say is that I hope Stephane Dion & his Liberals will win even though I’m unable to assist. Wait a minute. Can I still vote even though I’m overseas? If I still can I’ll assist the Canadian people in giving Harper das boot!

Wish me luck on teaching my final lessons. Till the next post, I’m out!

1 comment:

Roman Dzioba said...

You can still vote while overseas. Go to http://www.elections.gc.ca/, download the special ballot form and mail it to Elections Canada. They should send you something. That's what I did but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Roman